Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

two sofias












It has been a long time since my whole family was together. Logan and Katrina moved to Boston a year or so ago (which is the perfect excuse for that trip to Boston that I still haven't been on!) so that he could attend the Berklee School of Music. I still love bragging about that, about having a brother attending the prestigious Berklee (and I have to say "prestigious Berklee," of course). There may be a little bit of a pianist in me that's vicariously living her dreams through him. Or just jealous. Take your pick. Anyway, I was very excited to see him and Katrina, especially with that adorable baby bump. Seriously, have you ever seen a cuter baby bump? To say that I am excited about getting another niece is probably the world's greatest understatement.

Anyway, since it is so rare for the family all to be together anymore, we took a trip to Jackson, Wyoming, which is a favorite family destination. We always go to the Bar J Wranglers cowboy show and then take a hiking trip near Jenny Lake the next day. Sadly, I spent a lot of this trip NOT socializing with my siblings, which made me sad. Lina was horribly cranky (thrush, I think), and doesn't like to nurse covered. I know it makes several of the family men squeamish to see her nurse uncovered. And, so, I spent a lot of time tucked away in a room at the cabin (not ours, but glorious, nonetheless), trying to keep her happy and/or catching up on sleep. Oh, well.

The hike went off without a hitch, though. I have been looking forward to this hike for weeks. Lately, my soul has needed to see a forest, and my booty has needed a good walk uphill, so this was a perfect day for me. We bought a boba carrier to add into the rotation with the boba wrap, mostly just so we would have a place to put Sofia during the hike. Turns out the boba carrier is not super compatible with Ryan's long torso, but we made do. Next time, we will switch. He can wrap Emmeline and I will backpack Sofie. In any case, it was a good day. I love Jenny Lake. The hike isn't hard, but it's gorgeous. Even on a crowded labor day weekend, the trail had plenty of space and the other hikers were friendly. And the lake... Oh, I wish I had taken a decent photo of the lake. We somehow ended up on the mountain with nothing but an iPhone camera. Probably a good thing, as we had plenty of other things (kids) to haul, but a photographic loss all the same! I bought an annual pass to the national parks, with the optimistic thought that maybe we can come back again soon.

We partied for Sofia's second birthday party. Lately, I've been trying to teach Sofie the right answers to all the common questions. "What's your name?" "Sofia." "How are you?" "Fine, thank you." "How old are you?"

Well, the typical response to this question is, "I'm two Sofias!" Funny girl. How are you two already? I'm in love with her. She is my little sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. She's two?!? Impossible. I just read your post about her birth the other day. Oh well. Time marches on. What a sweet girl to have on any journey.

    Sometime when all this government shutdown business allows us to take our vacation to that part of the world, I need to take my family to Jenny's lake. Thank you for the reminder. Such a peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete